In today’s world of internet, if you want to connect your device to the internet through your router, you need to utilize the perfect IP address code for your router to access your router. Another important thing about the IP addresses of the router that, every router there is a default IP address like 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. The 192.168.1.254 IP address often used by routers as their default gateway, is a private internet protocol address, allows users to gain access to the router’s control panel. You can adjust various router settings or network options, optimizing their private network from the panel if you are a registered user.
If your default gateway address is 192.168.1.254, devices connected to your router via WiFi connection or ethernet cable will usually be allocated a similar IP address, such as 192.168.1.x, with the x being replaced by another number. The 192.168.1.254 IP address is commonly seen with home networks, especially with Aztech, Motorola, Linksys, and CenturyLink routers. But with some modern routers such as Westell, Billion ADSL, 3com Office Connect, Netopia, SparkLAN, Thomson, Billion and much more, you will be able to access your router by using a default IP address 192.168.1.254.
This article has all the possible aspects of the 192.168.l.254 IP address discussed thoroughly. Here, you will find what 192.168.1.254 IP address is, what is the use of it, how to quickly log in to it and many more.
The Advantages of 192.168.1.254 IP Address:
For many routers and modems, you use the default IP address at your home or different offices which is 192.168.1.1 and some related ones. But as discussed above, there are certain cases where this IP address code may not work, in that case, you can type 192.168.1.254, it will help you to access your router by repairing your new devices.
This IP will help you to access the settings of your default IP address, and your problem will be solved very quickly. But did you ever notice the difference between these two IP addresses 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.254? That is also explained below, just scroll.
The private IP address 192.168.1.254 is only for an IP version 4 address not for IP version 6. A large number of modern routers such as Thompson ADSL routers, Alcatel ADSL Modems, Westell ADSL Modems, 3Com routers, SRW2023 Linksys switches, ADSL billions of routers, 2Wire routers, TP-Link routers and also for Motorola or Cayman Netopia Internet gateways uses this IP Address as their Default Gateway.
Steps to access the router login screen via the 192.168.1.254 Default Gateway:
To log in to the 192.168.1.254 router control panel, assuming that is it is your default IP address, remember to use the web browser of a device that is connected to the router through a WiFi connection or an Ethernet cable.
- At first, type the IP address in the address bar of your browser. It doesn’t matter if you are doing this on your smartphone or your computer, as long as the device connects to the router’s network, it ought to work fine.
- Choose the web browser of your choice and launch it on the connected device, type the http://192.168.1.254 URL into the address bar and search. Do not add “www.” to the beginning of the address and, similarly, avoid including any suffix, such as “.com” or “.net” too.
- As soon as you press enter, you will see a login page asking for your user id and password. If you haven’t changed your credentials, enter your default user id and default password for your router provided by your ISP. If you don’t remember them, try using any one of credentials provided in the below common credentials. If you still not getting the login prompt at all, do not worry. It might be because your router has a different IP address, try searching it online or follow the section on steps to find your router’s IP. Once you find your default IP follow the remaining steps.
- Once you provide your username and password, a web page will occur where you can change things such as your default username and the default password, and also advanced options, such as the refresh rate of the DHCP client.
- The above process will work on all major browsers, including Google Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer, try a different browser with all the same steps if it does not.
Steps to find your router’s default IP Gateway:
Even when you typed your router IP address correctly, you couldn’t reach your router webpage that means your router uses a different IP address. If you do not know what it is, follow the steps given below to find your router’s IP easily. Once you find it, search for it online to find your default login credentials.
- Firstly, go to the “run” menu by searching “run” in the search bar of windows or by pressing the Windows + R keys together.
- Once the run window opens up, enter CMD in the textbox and click ok/enter key to open the command prompt.
- Once the command prompt opens, in it, type or copy paste “ipconfig/all” command and press enter.
- Once you hit enter a bunch of IP addresses will appear in the prompt window. You need to look for and find the one which is named as the default gateway IP will be the IP address for your router.
- Lastly, enter that IP to search for the login page in your browser’s address bar.
If you are using other devices and not a Windows device and facing problem launching the Command Prompt, try entering either of the other common default Gateway IP addresses that are often allotted to routers on private or home networks. Some of the common IP options except 192.168.1.254 include 10.0.0.1, 192.168.0.1, 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.1.1.
Steps to avoid common router IP Address Mistypes:
Now, if you are unable even to load the router login page, it can be the case that you have mistyped the IP address or entered it in the wrong way or wrong address bar. The IP address must be searched in your web browser’s URL address bar not in the search bar. So, carefully type in 192.168.1.254 where you would normally enter the URL address of a website, and search. Now your router login page should load successfully.
New users make a common mistake to leave out one or more of the full stops or commas in place of full stops in the IP address. Another mistake they make is to use the letter “O” instead of the number “0”, or the letter “l” for the number “1”.
These are all mistypes:
- 192.168 l.254
- 192.168 l 254
- 192.168 1.254
- 192.168 1 254
- 192.168 254
- http 192.168 l 254
The correct way to write the IP address is 192.168.1.254 or http://192.168.1.254. You can just copy this IP address and paste the above IP address into your browser address bar and search. If your Router Login Page is still not loading, your router can be unplugged or broken, or it might be using another default IP address.
Common default router usernames and passwords:
It can be hard to remember the default username and password for the router provided by the ISP. If you are also unable to find them in the user manual or through the online page, do not worry, many routers broads on the market utilise almost the same login credentials to make it easy and general, so it is possible to guess it if you know some of the others with a bit of trial and error.
Below, we have created a list of popular login names and password combinations, you can try them or can improvise around them. Please note, where you see “[blank]” it means that space should be left empty. Usernames and passwords are listed with a “&” between them.
Almost all of default usernames and passwords are in lower case letters, but the login details are case sensitive. So, if you do not get lucky with the above-provided list, you can try experimenting with uppercase letters too.
There may be a case where the default router username and the router password were already changed by another user; then, in that case, you will have to factory reset the router by pressing the small round button mainly found on the back of the router with a pointy or sharp object for 10 seconds. Once the light stops blinking, try the default username and password again.
Steps to access your wireless router using 192.168.1.254 IP address:
Sometimes while searching for the IP 192.168.1.254 on your internet browser, you still face some issues even after typing IP Address 192.168.l.254 correctly. This type of problems are widespread and faced by many people. So, below are the some listed things that you need to check to know why the IP address is not working.
- Firstly, you need to check whether or not you mistyped the IP address of your router while searching on your internet browser.
- Sometimes, adding “HTTP://” before the IP might cause the problem, you should avoid using it.
- Disable your firewall and try reaching the IP address, it sometimes proves to be the cause of the problem.
- If you use a LAN cable for connection, then you need to check if the connection between your PC and router is working or not.
- If the internet connection is OK, then try to reset your router.
- You can try to reset your computer too.
- You can also try to reset your local area network connection.
Router brands that use 192.168.1.254 IP address as default:
Some of the popular brands that make use of the IP address 192.168.1.254.
- 3Com Routers/Modems
- Billion Routers/Modems
- Westell DSL Modems (US ONLY)
- Some of the Linksys Routers/Modems
- Netopia / Cayman Gateways
Steps to reset your router username and password:
Below we have simple ways to reset your router credentials and change the router admin password easily. If you are not able to get inside the router’s setup page because you do not remember it, you need to follow these steps:
- Factory reset your router, to perform this, you need to press and hold the Reset button for about few seconds.
- You can leave the default username for the router empty or use “admin” as username if you have never changed it.
- The power LED to the router will start blinking soon after pressing the Reset button.
- Once you have completed the Reset process, unplug and re-plug the power adapter of the router.
Steps to reset router via Web Page setup:
- Firstly, you need to navigate to the setup page.
- Hit the Administration tab.
- Go to Factory Defaults displayed on the screen.
- In the Factory Defaults section, tap the “Restore Factory Defaults” button.
- Once the router reset to the default settings is done, configure the device based on the internet connection.
Use user manual to reset your router username and password:
An excellent solution to reset the username and password of your router is to check the user manual of the router. On the user manual, you can see the IP address, username and password. The IP address of a router is 192.168.1.254 by default except in some cases. Enter the default IP address and search for the web page in your web browser. Next, enter the default username and password that lets you change the credentials for the router login process.
You will not want to keep the default password for the router “admin” and the default password provided by your ISP for security concern. The default password of the router should be changed to a strong password. To change the router password through the web-based setup page, you need to follow these steps:
- Firstly, access the setup page of the router.
- Hit the Administration tab.
- Go to the management section, enter the new password in the field provided and Re-Enter to Confirm.
- At last, you need to tap into the “Save Settings” option.
- Open an internet browser, type and search 192.168.1.254 or http//192.168.l.254 in the address bar.
- Enter the default username and password on the new web page that will open(find it from the Default Password List).
- Hit Enter and pick Advanced Setup option from the menu.
- From the box that appears pick your Internet Service Provider’s name.
- Select either the Bridge Mode or PPPoE, according to your requirement.
- Now, provide the login credentials offered by your ISP and save the settings.
- Reboot the router and modem pair.
- Open your browser and enter 192.168.l.254 in the address bar.
- The dialog box of the admin will display on the screen, in this dialog box enter your user id and password.
- Navigate to Menu displayed on the left side corner of the page.
- Choose the Security option you want from the list of options on the left side menu.
- Use a powerful security key for your router.
- Save the new settings and after saving restart the router for acquiring precise network signals.
- First, copy the 192.168.1.254 IP address in the address bar of your web browser and open it.
- Open the “Advanced Setup” option on the web page.
- From the next menu select the option of bridge mode.
- Username and password will be required here which was already given by the Internet Service Provider for your IP address.
- After saving, reboot the router in a few moments.
- After that open the router web page using the same IP address.
- See if the internet is working properly or not.
That’s all! This is almost everything you need to know about the IP Address 192.168.l.254 that plays a significant role in the router network. Now, you must have understood all the required steps to log in, access and exploit the panel of the gateway. These steps are almost the same for other OS like MAC OS, Linux etc.